Monday, December 29, 2014

Spring 2015_Adventure Five: Looking Back, Leaning into Now, Moving Forward







Reflection is a particularly important component to Service Learning, so let's do a little bit of that now.  After watching the above videos, follow these steps:

Step One: Take a few moments to think (or reflect) back on your spring semester.


Step Two: Have you had a powerful learning experience that you encountered throughout the Better Place Project? Think back to "what happened" in those moments where you learned something. If you did not have a learning experience, how can you create a "take away" with this experience in mind?  

Step Three: Now place yourself in the position of the other people who shared the experience with you (the observers or other LC members) and imagine how they might describe it. 

Step Four: Having reflected on the experience and the differing perspectives of the people who shared it with you, describe what you learned from trying to view the experience from multiple perspectives. Share those descriptions below.

Step Five: Simon Sinek asks the question, "can you be your own observer?"  How would you respond to that?

Step Six: Courtney Spence states, "life lessons don't happen in the moment. They happen when you take the time to reflect on that moment."  How can you reflect on your "moments"?


Answers to this prompt are due by the beginning of Adventure Six.



5 comments:

  1. Matt Rensel
    Based on what we talked about, everyone is different in terms of reflecting on their past experiences. Some people need to sit in showers to reflect on what they have done, some people just think about it in bed, and some people need to write it down. You can be your own observer if you reflect on yourself. For me to reflect on my moments, I need to have a solid hour to myself and think about whatever it is I'm reflecting on. I tend to reflect a lot in various ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We say that some people can be completely immobilized and become dependent on others.The people at the Beechwood home were unable to do very much on their own and had to rely on others to do almost everything for them. When we were there to help them out, they were most likely very appreciative of our efforts

    You can be your own observer by looking at your own experiences through the eyes of others who were with you when you had that experience. hat way you are on the outside looking in and can reflect in a better way on the situation.

    I can reflect on my moments by reflecting on my day when i'm in bed and about to go to sleep. It can help me go over the day again and "sleep on" the decisions that I made and the experiences I had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer Benesh
    From our Better Place Project, the people we helped out seemed to be really happy that we came to visit them and to help them. I learned that it is possible to make a difference in people's lives, even if it is just for one day. I believe that the others that shared the same experience feels the same way.
    I think that it is possible that you can be your own observer because you can observe what you do and then reflect on it like others could reflect on what you do.
    You can reflect on your moments by just thinking about what happened or what you did. You could also reflect by talking it out with other people or listening to music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley Borghese

    Viewing an experience from multiple perspectives is a way to see the impact of actions and to see what actions were changeable. Once we see which actions can be changed we can reflect on if they were the best action in that situation. When we look from multiple perspectives we can see how actions affect others as well as ourselves.

    we can be our own observer. It is not the most effective way to view ourselves but can be done with limitations. Very often intentions are misunderstood and actions have consequences unknown the the one who has done them. Without someone else these cannot really be taken into account.

    I can reflect on moments by shearing experiences with others and gaining their input on the different situations I encounter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not had a 'powerful learning experience' through the better place project. I can however I can take some knowledge and understanding from it. I feel more aware of the world remembered how to be thankful and grateful for what I have. I also received the knowledge of the residence of an area contains the power to make a difference in their community. These bits of knowledge make me want to be better as a person and share my knowledge if my own experience to help others.

    I can be my own observer my looking at my own actions without being biased towards myself. I can not look at myself with favor or be too harsh on myself. I can observe my own thoughts and actions and decide how others could react and respond to them and learn to be not only a better person but be more respected by my pears and myself for being one that thinks of his actions beforehand.

    ReplyDelete